HF Mobile 60 Amp Power Source


The Toyota mobile Ham station has been working amazingly well since I knocked up the roof-bar mounted stainless steel antenna brackets. The reports and results that I've received have made me realize the benefits of running 50W /mobile into 3 meters of 50 ohm low loss coax. A nice and simple set up with low losses with a well grounded rig/antenna to the vehicle chassis combined with a modest antenna is a very effective way to put out a good signal, as I have been finding out over the past 6 years.

With the Yaesu FT100 set at 50W I can operate continuously when the vehicle engine is running, but the Toyota 2.0 Litre Petrol 4X4 needs a 45AH battery to power its creature comforts, which get a bit of a hammering during these wintry months.
So, I decided to replace the battery with something that would give me a bit more Umph, for both the Toyota and the amateur radio equipment carried on board.
I picked up a heavy duty replacement 65AH battery, which will give me a few extra amps for a lot longer. The mobile station is now at 100%, firing on all four cylinders! Listen out for 2E0HTS/M somewhere on 20M. Have a nice weekend.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Simon,

I've just installed a Ft-857D in my car, and i'm waiting for 20m Diamond mobile antenna.
I hope we could have a qso soon.
Best 73's
Cyril F4FUL
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Cyril,

nice to hear from you! G L with your new mobile set up, it sounds cool.
I look forward to many QSO.

Have a Happy Christmas to you and your Family!

Many DX 73

de Simon - 2E0HTS
Unknown said…
Thanks Simon, and merry christmas to you, Louise, and Dudley of course! :)


I'll try to send you some hours and freqs to manage a HF rendez-vous when my setup will be ready.

Best regards,
Cyril

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M