Hustler 6BTV - New Radials


HF radio conditions have been pretty grim on an evening back in the shack lately so I decided to try and optimize my Hustler 6 Band Trap Vertical in the hope that I may get a bit more of a helping hand on the 40 meter band. My new Pup Finn is already showing interest in antennas and is inspecting the new radials for size!


I decided to go with the recommended radial sizes seen below taken from the Hustler 6BTV user manual. I used some 2.5 mm multi-strand PVC coated copper wire which is typically used in electrical installations. With the help of my larger soldering iron I was able to join three radials to two sides of the mount giving a total of six radials which worked out as, two for 40M, two for 20M and two for 10M. I might add some more bands later as the result so far are providing excellent SWR readings less than 1.2 without the ATU. I just need some half decent conditions to get some good DX signal reports down on 40M and I shall post the outcome. In the meantime check out the recommended radial sizes below. Best 73!





Comments

Anonymous said…
We only have to use "Tuned Radials" when the antenna is elevated. The problem with 40 meters is that when the antenna is only 1-2 feet off of the ground, the ground introduced a lot of loss and the benefits of running tuned radials diminishes substantially.

If we can only get our vertical a couple feet off of the ground, it is better to put it closer to the ground and not use tuned radials but rather just run a minimum of 20-30 25' radials around the base of the antenna and either lay them on the ground or bury them just below the surface. No more than 1/2 to 1" depth is just fine. If you have more wire, use it. The more radials you can lay down the better the antenna will perform. Many folks run 64 radials and love their verticals.

While tuned radials placed above the ground will work, a ground screen of untuned radials will often outperform the tuned radials by quite a margin.

Lots of folks are having a lot of luck running chicken wire down in an X pattern under the antenna. The more area you can cover, the better the antenna will perform.

Norm - W7CK

Anonymous said…
My 6BTV never came to life until, I installed a few 28'radials on it. made a good bit of difference. Now I have 20 28ft. radials under it and I can work with 100 watts or less. Now going for 128 28ft. radials. Also will analyze and retune at that point. I think it will be a screamer! Also plan on adding the DXE VMN-1 Balun just for grins.

73 es gud DX

de KC5NGX
MØYKS Simon said…
Thanks for the great comments and information guys. I have noticed that the antenna not only works much better with the radicals, it is much easier to get resonant across mosst of the 40m band without any need of an ATU. I will have to try out some random lengths next and a few long 100ft plus to see how well I can get it working on 80m. Best 73 and thanks again for all comments and useful tips. de M0YKS Simon
Anonymous said…
My 6BTV never came to life until, I installed a few 28'radials on it. made a good bit of difference. Now I have 20 28ft. radials under it and I can work any station I can hear with 100 watts or less. Now going for 128 28ft. radials. Also will analyze and retune at that point. I think the 6BTV will be a screamer! Also plan on adding the DXE VMN-1 Balun just for grins.

Also after using an AA30 antenna analyzer to retune the antenna, I found out i do not need a ATU either. Great to be able to not have to have it. I just turn on the Alinco DX-SR8T and transmit. no tuning. Great for contesting or casual evening DX. One thing I did notice is 30m is way out of tune. But I can always put up a separate vertical for 30m.

73 es gud DX!

de KC5NGX

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M