Worked All Europe Contest and JN4VWH Contact

Hi again from 2e0hts, This weeks radio activity has mainly been on HF from my radio shack and earlier in the week I managed to also make an Internet QSO with my blog friend JN4VWH Nash in Japan.

I made the contact for the first time with Nash with the help of msn messenger, this was fun and helped us to arrange a radio sked which we tryed on 7mhz, 18mhz and 21mhz without success. However I then decided to interface the radio to the computer and managed to allow Nash JN4VWH to receive my radios incoming signals via the msn system. I then set the monitor level on the rig which allowed my audio to be also heard through msn each time i transmitted on the air. So Nash could hear myself and any stations that i was working on HF, allowing him to know what was going on here in North England. Fortunately the bands were very busy and I made many QSOs on 20m, 40m, and 80m, I also mentioned to some of the Stations worked that Nash JN4VWH was in SWL mode via my radio and p.c. The stations I spoke with were highly amused and sent greetings messages to Nash and i received Internet msn message back allowing me to pass them back to the other operators i was working. This was quite an interesting experience and I am looking forward to trying it again when i catch up with Nash on msn messenger, and hopefully we will make a HF contact next time if the propagation is good.To do this i ran a lead from the ext speaker of the rig to the line in or mic in on the p.c. soundcard. I then selected the voice conversation option on msn but used the radio rather than a p.c mic, it is simple but effective.

The weekend was a great chance to try out the ft1000 Mark-V Field which I was using at last weeks portable event (MX0KSC/P previous post). Last week the rig developed a minor fault during the last 5 minuets of the day, so i swiftly dropped it off at my local friendly radio shop LARS-Leeds Amateur Radio Shop. Steve who is M5LAR had the rig back with Me fully functioning with a couple of new diodes fitted on the IF board
which some how previously managed not so well to deflect RF from the little ft-857 that we used at the same time on another band. Whoops and what a load of rubbish were the thoughts that I had as my older rigs at home can run on different bands whilst playing psk31 on 14mhz and talking on another band at the same time without Even a flicker. I suppose the modern technology is great but also very fragile as compared with the older robust heavy duty ft767gx still in perfect working condition 20 years on.
Well where was I ? oh yes the Worked All Europe Contest, this was the best way I could test the ft1000 and after picking it up Saturday lunch time i was keen to connect to my antennas situated high up on the moor top. I was even more happy to work three new countries which included Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and Kuwait all worked with 50watts through the hustler 6btv on 20m.I have spoken with Saudi Arabia and recieved a QSL from my mobile also Kuwait but this was the first time from my Base Station. I went on to work the same Kuwait station again on 40m with my G5RV, twice in one day, same contest that's pretty good going! So i guess the radio is working just fine, Thanks to Steve from LARS the STAR Centre can continue to enjoy this radio as a teaching aid and as I am the STAR Centre Station Manager you guessed it, there is a big grin on my face, know that we have our toy back.

I was on the Air during the contest for a couple of hours and I gave a few points away to Stations outside of Europe working around 30 Contest Stations. You can see who and where I worked on my log, if your on it thanks very much see you again next Contest.

click on Log to enlarge

Thats all for know see you all soon here on Ham radio operator.blogspot 73 to all and thanks for visiting. Simon 2E0HTS

Comments

Nash , JN4VWH said…
Hello Louise and Simon,
This is JN4VWH, Nash from Japan. I thank you again for our first contact via Windows Messenger last week. It was really happy for me and it was at the same time a memorable experience for me.

As for the contest, you have well done nice QSOs at your home QTH with a big Rig, Yaesu FT-1000 Mark-V that I saw in the video at Star Center on You Tube and I could see Louise too in the video at the first time for me. The article of this weekend is very interesting for me. Really fantastic Radio station! You have, Simon (^-^). I think that many curious and interesting things are waiting me in the world of RADIO. I hope so…hi.

Thank you, see you again.
Sayonara Louise and Simon-san, 73 from Nash JN4VWH.
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Nash-san,
Many thanks for all your comments.
It is a real pleasure to hear from you, I enjoyed working some of the contest stations and I am very happy that the ft-1000 is working well. Tomorrow I shall set it up at the STAR centre where I work part time as well as my full time job in welding and fabrication at the College.

I am sure that you are on a fantastic journey of experience in all things to do with radio. There are so many wonderfull things that you can try, with lots of different gadgets and equipment to play around and experiment with. I have been using radio equipment since the age of 12 years and I am now 40 years and I still find it very exciting and i am still learning new things. It is really a great hobby and a brilliant way to meet new friends like your good self.

I will look out for you Nash san on msn, 73 good DX have fun and Sayonara from Louise M3TLL & Simon 2e0HTS
Phaze58 said…
Oh wow
A pioneer
I dont think I have heard of anyone else doing that Si.
Glad to hear that the FT-1000 is OK
A couple of diode's eh
well Ime not impressed with that :)
I think I will stick with the trusty IC-746 for the mo..
Just got to get myself a hustler now.
Off to blackpool today, saturday 15th,have got the Radio in car.. will be listening TP untill I get past Blackburn then I will switch to RF.
Looking forward to helping you at the next Event.
Probably using the FT-767 instead of the FT-1000 hi hi
73's and 88's DE M1PAC
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Phil M1PAC,
I hope you had a good day in Blackpool. I agree with you about the ft1000 and it will definitely be the good old FT767 next time we get to play out together.
I keep shouting out on 145.500 for you around 17.00gmt when i pick up Dudley in the Mobile, but havent heard you?.Lately the journey to work has been on two wheels so i havent been able to play radio but the ride has been good on my Kawasaki 750 Spectre.
I have a QSL card for you so see you soon. 73 from me and 88 from louise.
Phaze58 said…
Soz Si
Not got a radio in the car at the moment.Looking to get another one that has the remote head feauture. The new Alinco DR635 is looking favorite at the mo.
I will try to get the 20th of october of work.
Looks like I will have to work all week for that then, and the next week too as my brother is getting married on the 27th :)
Like the new look ;)
catch you soon ,and will put the 746 on 500 when I get home from work tommorrow 18th
73's
MØYKS Simon said…
Alinco Rig sounds good, Ive got too mention you to the lady who is from the Scouts to make sure its all ok.
Louise has made some good QSL cards for the club. I have one for you to add to your collection.
73 keep in touch.. Si

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M