Ham Radio

Friday, February 25, 2011
Latest Home Brew Metal Work Project - Tripod Mount For Satellite Yagis
This week I continued with my latest radio project which was to be some kind of rotator mount that I could use to set up my latest Satellite array.

As mentioned in my last post, I am planning on fixing the new Satellite antenna high up on the house. However, before I can begin working on that installation I want to build everything up at ground level and give it all a good testing out, ironing out any problems there may be on the way.

With all this in mind I began to search through my scrap material pile that I have stashed away for a rainy day etc.
I soon came across some heavy duty pipe and found some screwed/threaded bar. Then with a bit of sawing, grinding and hammering, I began fabricating the scrap pipe and metal which I finished off by welding it all up into a fairly substantial tripod.

The finished tripod can easily be dismantled and folds up nice and neat allowing it to be transported without any hassle.

I finished the job by painting it black, I then fitted the Yaesu GS5500 rotator to the top of it. (as seen below in the two images).

Next, I was ready to install the two Satellite Yagi antennas.

I fitted the 435 X beam and the 145 Yagi with a short ally pole keeping the weight down to a minimum.

The video below shows the Satellite array up and running working well at ground level.


I have already made a couple of successful QSO via VO-52 as well as hearing AO-51 nice and loud last night. The new setup will be even better once I complete the full installation on the house.

Hope to hear you via the SATs soon!
posted by Simon Davison @ 9:20 am  
4 Comments:
  • At 1:05 pm, Blogger PE4BAS, Bas said…

    Hello Simon, that is a very nice tripod and antenna setup. Around 2000-2003 I worked a lot via UO14/AO27 and since I was not allowed HF then it was great fun. There is only one disadvantage and that is that sometimes you have to wait a long time till one of the sats is flying over. But if you really have that patience the contacts are rewarding. I think when the weather is a little better I'm going to give it a try as well. The idea of a tripod did not come up with me, for sats it's not really important to have the antennas very high. Except if they are very near to the horzizon. 73, Bas

     
  • At 6:23 pm, Blogger test said…

    Hi Simon, Very nice setup you made here ! I'm aiming to something like this too but I could'nt deal with the price of an elevation rotor so it will have to wait. Just a question, did you try to put the antennas vertically ? I did this with my home setup with a fixed 30° elevation 3 elements yagi VHF and 5 elements UHF and vertical works best than horizontal, strange but true, HI !
    Keep up the good work, 73 de Tom F8COD

     
  • At 6:48 pm, Blogger 2E0HTS Simon said…

    Hi Bas, glad you like the tripod. It will be fantastic to work you sometime in the near future, I look forward to you setting up some equipment. As you know I am very active on HF in between the Satellite passes and looking after our new baby daughter. All the best Bas. Thanks for all your comments many 73.

     
  • At 6:52 pm, Blogger 2E0HTS Simon said…

    Hi Tom, thanks for the advice. I changed my Yagi to vertical polarisation and am now hitting the birds much more effectively. I have noticed a massive improvement and have made lots of good QSOs on AO-51, AO-7 and VO-52 since I changed it. Hope to catch you on one of the Satellites soon Tom.
    Best 73 and many tnx.
    Simon

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Custom Search




 
About Me

Name: Simon Davison
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by


free counters
>
BLOGGER