My windom antenna has been in an inverted vee configuration for the last twelve months, I have carried out a few experiments with the antenna supported by the off center fed balun but have found the vee configuration far too noisy on reception.So today I managed to get the windom back to horizontal and in a straight line. I also increased the antenna height above the ground from 20 feet to around about 30 feet sloping slightly at both ends to around about 20 feet at each end.
To make life easy I got out my 30 ft telescopic pole and attached a homemade hook into the top of the pole for easy hanging.
The fiberglass pole is the quickest way for me to get a hook up high without too much trouble and with a steady hand its simple enough to extend with the antenna attached.
The neighbors probably think I am going fishing, maybe flying fish? Anyhow up she goes, where it stops no one knows!
The face of concentration as I 'hook a duck' at 30 feet, I am aiming the pole at the top of my 2 meter antenna mast.
Achieved! On target and successfully hooked to the antenna bracket with the homemade hook and nylon rope.
I added a telescopic mast that I sometimes use /P, this will keep the antenna up higher and in a horizontal or flat configuration. The opposite far end is supported by a tree using another homemade hook, some nylon rope and again hung with my telescopic pole to mount it up high hooked to a thick branch.
The end result looks a lot better and seems to be much better on receive, I was getting a lot of noise before but now its much more reasonable. I am referring to the 80 meter band and noise levels are fairly high no matter what .Previously with the inverted vee config, I was up at S9 + but now its horizontal I am back down to S7 and voices are much more readable again.
I tried it out on 40 meters earlier and it was equal to the vertical, I will be testing on 80 meters next as I prepare and check over the station and get excited to be almost ready for the World Wide CQ Contest this coming weekend.