Ham Radio

Sunday, September 15, 2019
Radial clean up on my Hustler 6BTV

After trimming the garden I decided to remake the radial connections and clean up the feed point of my vertical HF antenna which is a Hustler 6btv. I have two 6btv antennas one at the cabin and one here pictured above. They are both 15 years in operation and both antennas are still working great as well as holding up to the weather over the years.
Today's task was to clean the feed point especially the braided coaxial ground connection and to renew the radial ends with some clean crimped lugs.

After completing everything I checked out the SWR on each of the 6 bands to find all was well and my Hustler can face the Autum fully checked over and ready to go!
posted by M0YKS - Simon @ 4:36 pm   0 comments
Wednesday, September 04, 2019
80m Dipole


I took a picture this morning before leaving for work of my latest homebrew 80 meter dipole. It's working out very well so far, I worked GB4BIT last night who was portable on Bardsley Island, Wales.

I will be operating from my shack again this evening. Hopefully conditions will be good. Best 73 have a good day.
posted by M0YKS - Simon @ 10:16 am   0 comments
Sunday, September 01, 2019
80m Dipole - Homebrew

My Carolina Windom snapped yesterday as the wind came in and the wire took a hit from a branch close by to a insulated support. This will have rubbed over time and inevitably ended up weakening and shearing the wire flex.


My Windom antenna has been in use since 2004 and has served me well, I will repair it sometime. Today I fancied a change so I gathered some wire, insulators, a ferrite ring and a dipole centre which I used to construct a single band 80m dipole.
I started with two equal lengths of wire about 66 foot long which I soldered a couple of lugs to each end. I then found a short length of 50 ohm lightweight coax cable and wrapped it around the ferrite ring with 4 turns, following with a coaxial wound in a choke just below the ferrite.



Once complete I placed one leg of the dipole approximately 25 feet up and hooked it to the top of my F23 H antenna mast. I attached one insulated end to a telegraph pole and the other insulated end attached to a lower pole at the bottom of our garden. This install was easy enough with the help of my poly-carb 30 foot flag pole with a hook installed in the end I could do everything stood on the ground. I ended up taking the dipole up and down 3 times this evening to adjust the length to obtain a usable SWR. At present the SWR is 1:1 at 3.6 MHz and a little high at 2:5 - 3:0 on 3.8 MHz which will mean another adjustment will be necessary to obtain my preferred SWR reading of 1:1 - 1:5 at the top of the band. I will look into this over the week one evening possibly after work, in the meantime I am happy with the new dipole as I am hearing little noise and big signals from into G and EU tonight. I will catch a picture of the dipole up in position next post for you to see the installation as it was dark by the time I finished the install. The dipole will be under scrutiny over the coming weeks, I am feeling confident that it will be good as my initial findings are looking positive. I will be getting back to you with my results in due course, for now have a good week and I shall catch up with you all again soon. 73!
posted by M0YKS - Simon @ 10:17 pm   0 comments
Custom Search




 
About Me

Name: M0YKS - Simon
Home:
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by


free counters
>
BLOGGER