Satellite DXing

After work I was out in the garden making the Neighbours look confused as I waved my tripod mounted Arrow into the skies in the search for AO-51. I shouted over to my Neighbour "Signals from space" He looked at me with one of those puzzled looks similar to the ones you get when someone spots your vehicle covered in antenna's, you know the look I mean. He didn’t wait to see what the fuss was all about which turned out to be 3 nice QSOs into Ireland, France and Estonia running just 5 watts QRP out of the TH-F7(uplink) and back into the Ft-470 (down link). I always get a real buzz when outside with the Arrow QRP Satellite set up, I got lucky tonight putting in some good signals from the Moor Top QTH.

I will be trying to get in to AO-51 on the next pass which has a possibility of getting across the pond to the U.S as AO-51 will be on a low pass on the horizon with a maximum elevation of only 5 degrees, it will be short quick and I will have a good chance for some QRP DX.

If you are new to Satellites or have recently just got interested in getting into the Satellite side of amateur radio, this site OBSERVATIONS run by GM1SXX - AL and LA2QAA - John has a lot of useful information regarding Amateur Satellite operations and is well worth a visit.

Comments

Unknown said…
That's the take-off from your garden? Lucky blighter! Mountains may be picturesque, but they don't do a lot for VHF propagation.

I'd like to have a go at working the FM satellites, but I'd have to find a /P site, because quite apart from the neighbours, the XYL has got what's left of our postage stamp sized garden after the conservatory was built covered in plants, so there is no space to work from.
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Julian,

Yep when I moved up to Baildon Moor the 1000 ft summit QTH helped me make the right decision h.i

I get up to the South Lakes (Barrow) 5/5 – 5/9 on 2m FM, might even get a signal to cocker mouth one day soon with some good E openings.

In between the SATs last night I got into an EI Station south of Dublin on 50W through the IOIo on 2M SSB. I get out very well on VHF with my 30 mile almost 360 degree views.

Hope you get out and work some SATs soon /P, sounds like a good plan. I will be listening out for you! GL & 73

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M