In the past, the FM Satellite signals that I have received have been very weak compared to the portable outdoor ARROW Antenna.
The SSB SATs such as VO-52 & FO-29 have always been stronger and much easier to work compared with the FM Birds whilst using the IOIo Antenna.
I have been using the FT-847 Noise Reduction and DIG Filter to assist in pulling out the voices from the FM hiss but still have had a struggle on my hands with most passes.
I had another look at my A430S10 Yagi and decided to fix it above the 145 IO Beam using 30mm wooden spacers at a fixed 30º elevation. I have tried 15º, 20º and 45º elevation fixed in the past and have found 30º to be the best compromise. The Compact IO 145 Loop out performed a 4Ele Yagi, I just need an edge on the IO 435 loop. The 10Ele was the answer! A more accurate aim is required which I have now mastered.

The combined antenna is working better than expected, it seems like this time I got it right, I am now in the position to be able to hear the FM SATs – AO-51 & SO-50, loud and clear in the shack on the FT-847.
Since Installation, I have made plenty of QSO on AO-51 including a first Satellite QSO for M0JMO – Josh, earlier this evening as well as lots of other successful contacts into EU and up and down the UK.
RESULT! The FM SATs can now be worked from inside a warm shack as well as out in the cold on the QRP ARROW set up.
The new IO-10 145/435 is now very effective on VO-52, my downlink signal is up at 5/9 on all passes between 2º - 60º, and I can get into VO-52 at a distance of 1700 miles with a good signal back to IO93CU.
Catch you on the “Birds” 73
4 comments:
DED smegging jelouse now
ACE one Simon I haven't been able to work any birds coz I have just been too lazy , But now I have been inspired to do something about it..
Simon -- as always .. good thinking and a good job on the 10-element. And thanks for your help, inspiration and above all -- patience as I try to duplicate some of your ham sat adventures on this side of the pond.
randy K4LJA
Phil - Hope you get outside and make some qso soon via the birds. tnx for all your comments.
Randy - Thank you very much for following my crazy antics! Good luck with the Sats, we might hear you on a Trans Atlantic pass some day soon. see you on twitter!
Hi Simon I expect more screen shots of 2E0HTS IO-10EL 145-435 Satellite Antenna.By the this article brings new update to the reader.Can you write same on collins or knewood.
Post a Comment