2E0HTS makes QSO with PA1TNO via VO-52 Satellite




Today I successfully managed a contact using my FT-847 and vertical antenna by connecting with Earth orbiting satellite VO-52.

I monitored VO-52s location using satscape and once the satellite was in range I called cq on VFO B which was set at 435.250mhz lsb (uplink frequency)and at the same time I was tuning around VFO A set at 145.900mhz usb +or- 10kilo cycles.

You have to search up and down the receive frequency + or - 10ish quickly whilst transmitting audio, I did this until I heard my self on the downlink signal.

Once my voice was clear on the downlink I was called by PA1TNO-Eric who was located in Amsterdam in the NETHERLANDS.

Eric's signal and my own were constantly shifting frequency in an upward motion due to the speed of the travelling VO-52 satellite creating the Doppler effect.

I maintained continuous adjustment to the downlink RX signal but kept the uplink signal fixed on 435.250mhz lsb.

We both exchanged reports and locator's without any problems, I was excited and pleased with this kind of amateur radio activity, I had finally managed to make a successful DX QSO with Space communications and technology for the first time.

I have listened to many QSOs taking place on V0-52 and AO-51 and other satellites for many years, so at last Patience has paid off and enthusiasm to try more satellite communication has sparked so don't be to surprised if I post more on the subject.

73 and here is some techie stuff regarding VO-52.

VO-52 specs:


The satellite is spin stabilized. It spins at about 4 RPM.

UHF Uplink and VHF Downlink

Uplink transponder frequency: 435.250 MHz

Downlink transponder frequency: 145.900 MHz

Beacon frequencies: 145.860 MHz CW telemetry and 145.936 MHz unmodulated carrier

Transponder bandwidth: 60 kHz

Transmitter output power: 1 watt

Antennas: VHF and UHF turnstiles

Communication modes: CW, SSB, FM

Electrical power: Gallium Arsenide solar panels charging a Lithium Ion battery

Onboard computer: MAR 31750 processor in the spacecraft's electronic bus management

unit for attitude control, telemetry, telecommand for ground control, sensor and actuator functions.

Each transponder is recognized by its beacon.

The Indian transponder has an unmodulated carrier on 145.940 MHz.
The Dutch transponder is modulated with telemetry information on 145.860 MHz.

Both are linear transponders offering the CW, USB and FM modes of amateur radio communication. They operate Mode-B for U-V operation with UHF uplink and VHF downlink.

Comments

Phaze58 said…
well done si
I keep trying and now I have a Brill rig I can at least attempt it :0)
the 746 is going on weds , I am taking it to LAM ..Needs Must :((
MØYKS Simon said…
Cheers Phil

The 746 is cheap, I would have liked it but would need to part ex one of my rigs etc. Thats why I did not reply to your earlier quote h.i

I find SSB satellite easier to connect than FM so far?

73 and let me know if tha fancys a deal with the 767 (again). Chow
Eric said…
Hi Simon,
I never thought I was in the headlines of your website :-)
I enjoyed talking to you on VO-52, and hoping to hear you again soon!

73 from Eric, PA1TNO
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Eric

It was a pleasure working you via VO-52 and you came through great!

I will be listing out for you and hopefully do it again soon.

All the best to you and yours, and a big thank you for commenting here.

73 regards from Simon 2E0HTS

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M