Yaesu G - 250 Rotator


After watching a selection of second hand antenna rotators on eBay, I decided to go for a brand new model which I got through Nevada's eBay shop at a buy it now price.
Nevada have been selling the Yaesu G-250 Rotators at a promotional discounted price so it wasn't to hard to decide to purchase a new item rather than a used one which gave me peace of mind instead of not knowing the life expectancy of a pre owned unit.

I've been using the recently purchased antenna rotator for the last 10 days and have found it to be excellent value for money. I installed the recently mentioned IOIo beam on the GS-250 and have had successfully greatly improved 5/9 exchanges on the LEO Satellites, as well as the DX worked on 2m SSB.

The Rotator is well constructed and assembles easily in minuets, it comes with u-bolts ready to fix to your poles. Its design and choice of material has been well thought out as its shape is pleasant to the eye as well as practical and usable with good water resistance.

The GS-250 is a six pole 24 volt set up and 7-core trailer cable is the cheapest option to feed your rotator. The terminals are good quality and are numbered 1-6 which is repeated at the termination point on the Controller unit. I soldered some small terminal connectors which are normally crimped on to each end of the 6 core cable. The 7th core was cut at the end of the sheath and discarded.

The Controller is retro style simple and basic which may not suit all, but for myself it compliments the rest of my kit- FT-767, MD1, and SP-102 matching speaker, as it is exactly the same colour as the rest of the set up.
I use the Rotator/IoIo with the FT-847 and it already looks like its always been part of the shack. h.i
The dial is definitely retro design and is very basic in display showing N E S W and has marks set at 15 degree increments. The idea of learning my 15 X table all those years ago at first school, now seems all worth while. I have been enjoying using my brain power to calculate the sums, track the 'Birds' and noting Call Signs whilst in QSO. Extremely good fun.

All in all, the complete set up looks well and comes with Yaesu's usual quality build reputation performing smoothly and quietly as well as being accurate.

100% Rating from me and I would recommend it to anyone wishing to use it with a light weight antenna up to 25 kG total weight.
The ROTATOR and IOIo Home Brew Beam

Comments

Phaze58 said…
Looking GOOD!

Ca'nt wait to see it close up :) er well you know what I mean

I defo think I am going to get one of those for my 3ele 6mtr and a bit better coax .

TTfN
de (infamose) M1PAC
MØYKS Simon said…
EY Up Phil,

Thanks for the Flowers and you can try it out for yourself when you and M0DIT Josh comes up all being well this Saturday.

Catch you on 2

73 de 2E0HTS
Tomas said…
Hi Simon, looks like great event! Just now I am demonstrating to my friend our amateur station and we just cought ao-51 pass and we heard you there (on home vertical antenna)! Best 73! Tomas
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Tomas,

Wow! Glad you heard me in there!

Regards to your friend and hope to hear you on AO-51 soon.

73 de Simon.
atropa said…
Hi Simon
Interesting review on the G250 rotator and in consequence have bought one to support a 2 metre yagi. The entry grommet is very small to take 7 core trailer cable. Perhaps you could let me know how you coped with this?
73 de Vince, G0AQT
taylorvincent@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design