Maldol HMC-6 S and HMC-14 C Add On




I’ve been using the Multi band Maldol HMC-6 S antenna, for the last 3 years at my QTH as a stand by antenna and have been pleasantly surprised with its overall performance.

The Vertical Mobile/Portable antenna covers 6 bands, 40M, 15M, 10M, 6M (HF) and (VHF) 2M & 70CMS.

I’ve used it a lot for listening across the HF bands as well as some short wave frequencies, I’ve also put out some good signals and made some good DX contacts on 40M, 15M and 10M as well as 6M using a good ground plane system (20 foot Metal Container). It even Works well on 2M, I have not tried 70cms but the SWR appeared to be good across the band.

I have also got a range of Maldol Mono band mobile HF antenna’s and have been planning to try the HMC-6 fitted to the Toyota’s rear fixing instead of the mono bander’s. This has proven to be difficult to stop running the mono band Maldols, down to the good results that I can honestly say I have had. The Mono band Maldol,s especially 40M, 20M and 15M will be a hard act to follow for any mobile antenna.

This plan is now beginning to take shape mainly due to Phil M1PAC’s generous influence as Phil managed to obtain the HMC-14 C add on part, which replaces the 40M coil/whip. It turns the HFC-6 S into a 20M, 15M, 10M, 6M & 2/70CM banded antenna. Phil told me that since Maldol no longer make antennas it is virtually impossible to obtain a new HMC-6 S, but there are a few Ham Shops with a few accessories/add on bands if you look hard enough. I was definitely feeling lucky that day. If you want one, you will have to keep an eye on EBay etc.

M1PAC Phil gave me the Maldol 20M attachment as a gift, I was extremely surprised, very pleased as well as grateful as you know what! Thanks Phil, I owe you one!.

So the next stage will probably have to wait until the weekend when I can try it out on the Toyota’s, Yaesu FT-857. I am fairly confident it will work well, but I will know soon enough. If it performs as well on 20M as it does with the 40M section attached, I will be more than happy.

Any results will be posted here at HamRadioOperator.Blogspot.Com and PlanetHam.Org. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!
73

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design