Working The Satellite's From The Shack


Over the weekend I worked a few amateur satellites using my Yaesu FT-847 radio and home made IO-10EL Satellite antenna.

Satellite & Station worked

SO-50 - EA1JM .

VO-52 - G0FGX, HB9OAB, G6NQO & SP3GAD .

HO-68 - N1AIA & KB1RVT (FM Mode) .

AO-51 - LY1R .

HO-68 - M0ITF (SSB) .

I still prefer working via the SSB transponders rather than the FM birds, however its all extremely good fun with plenty of fellow Satellite ops that are always very friendly and happy to work you.
As usual AO-51 was the busiest of the birds with plenty of activity on each pass. I was especially pleased with my QSOs across the pond using FM via HO-68 which is proving to be a fantastic Satellite both on FM and SSB. I cant wait until HO-68 has been fully commissioned and is switched on all of the time.

Check out the Oscar Satellite Status to see which Satellites are operational and have been heard recently by fellow Hams and SWLs all over the globe.

Comments

Paul M0PCZ said…
Hi Simon, yet another side of our great hobby to explore.Have you seen K7AGE on you tube, he's done a couple of satellite video's, very interesting.

73 Paul.
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Paul,
Thanks for passing by and commenting.

Randy's original video inspired me to send off to the USA for my ARROW MKII antenna which works very well.

Hope to catch you on the bands sometime in the near future or maybe via the Sats.

All the best and happy DXing

73 Simon
Unknown said…
Thats the antenna I want to construct when I get the antennas of the chimney.have you got any plans for that antenna Si? At the moment I cant work any sats coz all I have are 2 co-liners I can hear something but it only last a short while. looking forwards to building one .
MØYKS Simon said…
Hi Phil, check back in my archives for the plans. I built it last year and it is still performing very well indeed.

G L and hope to hear you again soon via the "Birds"
Unknown said…
Had a look simon cant find it, bet I am not looking hard enough, anyways I think I can remember most of what you did, now all I have got to do is go out and buy the bits to make up the 2 mtr IO section and buy some 2 x 2 whilst I am there. I think I will have to buy the 10 ele 70cm of the web (junksale or flea-bay) but at the moment I am updating the shack will post on my blog and update my QRZ photo.speak to you soon.

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design