Using The YAESU FT-4X Portable - Beamsley Beacon Summit N.Yorkshire

When Elsie M7ELC obtained her foundation amateur radio licence my good friend Pat W0OKE, Norm and the whole Portland Oregon HRO team sent her a fantastic first radio to celebrate her achievement as at that time, 2021, Elsie was 10 yrs old . She was very happy to receive this lovely radio which is the YAESU FT-4X. She uses it every now and again but not as often as the mobile FT-857 or shack station. So I decided with her permission to give it a go myself. After all my FTDX-101MP gets her attention so its a fair deal.

  
 So today's adventure was to hike to the top of one of the local trig points about 15 miles to the North West of Baildon. The exact location is overlooking Bolton Abbey situated higher up above on Langbar Moor and is known as Beamsley Beacon which is 1300 FT ASL. 

A great walk and also spot on for VHF UHF QRP. 



 The YAESU FT-4X is really nice radio to operate and is nice and simple to use so with my eyesight not as good as it was I found it great. The most impressive bit was its clear receive quality and from the reports it gets out well. When I got back home I ordered a 1/4 wave (aprox 40cms long) antenna to try it with next time around. I definitely would recommend this radio after using it. If you had two of these dual band radios your well on your way for the satellites and ISS. All you would require further is an Arrow antenna or something similar. Anyway back to Beamsley Beacon with the video of the adventure below.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New DX Contact 0n 12 Meters

Full Size Delta Loop for 20M

Homebrew 40/80 Trap Dipole Design